Friday, February 12, 2016

country ham & cheddar quiche

Last month Lilly & I went to a brunch playdate and had the most divine quiches of my life. (And lemon curd fruit tartlets and mimosas, but I digress...) It definitely got me on a "kick" -- I've had quiche in the past, some good and some definitely not so great. Quiche can be super easy, convenient to keep in the freezer and pop in the oven if you have surprise guests, a way to get rid of random refrigerator contents, you name it! It's also one of the few breakfasty things I can usually eat without having to worry about my blood sugar. The high protein content + being relatively low-carb (especially if you don't chow down on the entire crust) makes it delicious and diabetic-friendly. Plus you can make it all kinds of fancy by adding fresh herbs, mixing and matching types of cheese and meats... mouth watering over here. 

I decided to attempt my own yesterday after an insatiable craving for one. We had a good deal of legit country ham left in freezer from past years' haul from "Sausage Man" (the hog raiser my grandmother frequents around the holidays to stock up on the family's pig needs), so I thawed a couple slices out and made an emergency run to Publix to get more cheese (there are few things you can get really excited about eating as a diabetic, but cheese is DEFINITELY one of them!). I mixed together a few recipes from Pinterest and came up with this one.

Country Ham & Cheddar Quiche


2 slices country ham
2 green onions, diced

Trim bone and fat from ham; cut remains into 2" pieces. Cover ham & scallions with water in skillet, cook on medium heat.

3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
sprinkle nutmeg
dash kosher salt
dash freshly cracked black pepper
1 premade pie crust

Press ham, onions, and cheese into pie crust. Beat eggs, cream & milk, and seasonings until mixed. Pour into pie crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes, or until quiche has puffed and browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment